Domestic Flight Upgrade Awards
Qantas Australian Domestic Flight Upgrade Awards
You can request Flight Upgrade Awards on Qantas operated Australian domestic flights (with a QF flight number on your ticket) from:
- Discount Economy^ to Business
- Economy^ to Business
If you request a Flight Upgrade Award for an itinerary that includes an international and a domestic leg with the same flight number, this will be treated as an international Flight Upgrade Award.
Here are a few things you need to know about domestic Flight Upgrade Awards:
- You need to have an eligible paid and confirmed ticket on a Qantas operated service (with a QF flight number on your ticket).
- Flight Upgrade Awards may be requested on all domestic Qantas Any Seat Awards but are not available on Qantas Classic Awards.
- You will earn points and Status credits for the fare class you originally purchased.
- The fare conditions applicable to the fare originally purchased will apply.
- Special meals may not be available in the upgraded class of travel.
- Flight Upgrade Awards are subject to capacity controls and availability (which is limited).
- Members must have enough points for the Flight Upgrade Award at the time they request it and when the upgrade is confirmed. Family transfers may assist in ensuring that sufficient points are available.
- All PIN changes between the time a Flight Upgrade Award is requested and the time of confirmation must be advised to Qantas reservations. Otherwise the Flight Upgrade Award request will not be processed.
- If there are multiple people travelling in your booking and all passengers are eligible family members, your online request for a Flight Upgrade Award will apply to each passenger. If your booking includes passengers other than eligible family members, you will need to contact Qantas Telephone Sales to split the booking and then you will be able to request an upgrade.
Domestic Flight Upgrade Award requests
You can request a domestic Flight Upgrade Award any time after you have paid for your ticket and received confirmation up until 24 hours before your flight leaves.
Just log in to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account at qantas.com, go to 'Your Bookings' and click on the 'Upgrade' button. If an upgrade is available, it will be confirmed immediately and points will be deducted from your account.
Alternatively you can contact Qantas Telephone Sales.
Register for a domestic Flight Upgrade Award
If your request cannot be confirmed when submitted online, you will be given the option to register for an upgrade should one become available in the future on your booked flight.
Flight Upgrade Award registrations are prioritised according to your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership level: Platinum first, followed by Gold, Silver and then Bronze.
If your upgrade is confirmed after you have registered, it will be noted in 'Your Bookings' at qantas.com, and where possible we will notify you with an SMS†. You will also be informed when you check-in to your flight at the airport. Points will be deducted from your account when your upgrade is confirmed.
Domestic On Departure Upgrades at the airport
While you can ask for a Flight Upgrade Award any time after you have paid for your ticket and received confirmation, you can also request a domestic On Departure Upgrade at the airport if you are a Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer or a Qantas Club member. You can request a domestic On Departure Upgrade for Qantas operated services with a QF flight number on your ticket (unless the QF flight number is from 1 to 199).
Domestic On Departure Upgrade requests can be made between three hours and 20 minutes before your scheduled flight departure.
For full details on domestic On Departure Upgrades, see the terms and conditions.
At The Qantas Club
Qantas Club members and Platinum and Gold Frequent Flyers can request a domestic On Departure Upgrade at domestic Australian Qantas Club lounges (except QantasLink lounges). Platinum Frequent Flyers can also request an upgrade in domestic Australian Business lounges.
Qantas may occasionally have to restrict this facility on some routes or under special circumstances (for example, where there is an unexpected disruption to services resulting in heavy demands on Qantas Club personnel).
For more information, ask at The Qantas Club Service Desk.
At domestic Check-in-Kiosks
Qantas Club members and Platinum and Gold Frequent Flyers can also choose to request domestic On Departure Upgrades at domestic Check-in-Kiosks, where available, when travelling by themselves.
Upgrading and your Family
If you are travelling with your family, your request will include all passengers in your booking who are eligible family members. If your booking includes passengers other than eligible family members, you will need to contact Qantas Telephone Sales to split the booking and then you will be able to request an upgrade.
If you are not travelling but use your points to request an upgrade for an eligible family member, the upgrade will be awarded according to the eligible family member's priority, not the status of the Qantas Frequent Flyer whose points are being used. An exception is made when Platinum One members, though not travelling, redeem points for an upgrade on behalf of eligible family members. In this case the eligible family members will enjoy the same high priority as a Platinum One member.
You may cancel an unconfirmed request for a Flight Award Upgrade without forfeiting your points at any time prior to the scheduled flight departure. Should your upgrade request be confirmed and you choose to cancel your upgrade request more than 24 hours before the scheduled flight departure your Flight Upgrade Award may be refunded subject to a fee. If you cancel your confirmed request within 24 hours of the scheduled flight departure, or if you fail to board your flight, you will forfeit the points used and a seat may no longer be available in your original booked class.
If you cancel or change your flight before your upgrade is confirmed, the Flight Upgrade Award request will be cancelled, and a new request must be made.
Points needed for a Domestic Flight Upgrade Award to Business confirmed until 13 January 2014*
|Zone||One-Way Miles||Discount Economy^||Economy^|
Points needed for a Domestic Flight Upgrade Award to Business confirmed from 14 January 2014*
|Zone||One-Way Miles||Discount Economy^||Economy^|
Flight Upgrade Awards are subject to capacity controls and availability (which is limited).
* Domestic Flight Upgrade Awards confirmed until 23:59 (AEST) 13 January 2014, irrespective of the date of travel or when the upgrade was requested will be charged at the lesser rate listed above.
^ For domestic flights within Australia: a) Discount Economy includes Red e-Deal fares, Qantas Any Seat Awards booked in X class and Group fares booked in G class; and b) Economy includes Fully Flexible and Flexi Saver.
† SMS notification of a confirmed domestic Flight Upgrade Award is available only to Qantas Frequent Flyers who are travelling on the upgraded segment, and who have a valid mobile telephone number in their membership profile. Some members may not receive SMS notification due to operational reasons.