Advance Seat Selection
1. Advance Seat Selection
Advance Seat Selection allows passengers to request a specific seat from a selection of available seats in their booked cabin class on domestic and international Qantas operated services with a QF flight number between QF 1-QF 199 or between QF 400- QF 1349 (inclusive). Advance Seat Selection is at all times subject to availability of requested seats.
Passengers may request Advance Seat Selection up to 3 hours before scheduled departure provided the passenger has not checked in for the flight.
Charges apply for Advance Seat Selection in the international Economy Class cabin, except as follows:
- Passengers who are Platinum, Gold or Silver Qantas Frequent Flyers or equivalent oneworld Frequent Flyers at the time of the seat selection can request seats without charge from reserved zones within each cabin according to Frequent Flyer status and class of travel purchased. In addition, any other passengers in the same booking are exempt.
There is no charge for Advance Seat Selection when travelling on:
- Australian domestic services.
- International flights in the First, Business or Premium Economy cabins.
- Qantas services under another carrier's flight number.
- Flights operated by another carrier (such as codeshare or interline flights which do not have a QF flight number).
There is also no charge for seat allocation at the time of check-in.
Advance Seat Selection must be requested for all passengers booked on the flight at the same time.
Seats are allocated to individual passengers and selections cannot be transferred to other passengers.
Seats purchased are valid for the flight/date/cabin shown (except when flight/date changes are made by Qantas)
If you do not select a seat prior to check-in, one will be selected for you from the remaining seats available.
There is no charge for seating if passengers wait to receive their seat allocation at check-in
2. Eligible Passengers
Advance Seat Selection is available only on domestic and international Qantas operated services with a QF flight number between QF 1-QF 199 or between QF 400- QF 1349 (inclusive).
Advance Seat Selection is not available:
- to passengers who are requesting seats during check-in;
- at the airport sales desks;
- for flights operated by QantasLink
- to passengers who have booked through Qantas Group Travel;
- if Advance Seat Selection is not selected at the same time for all passengers per flight in the booking;
- for Infant bookings;
- to standby or waitlisted passengers; or
- for passengers who have specific seating needs such as medical.
3. How to Purchase
Advance Seat Selection can be purchased using credit/debit/charge card or (subject to 6 below) by redeeming Qantas Frequent Flyer points via qantas.com. Payment cannot be a combination of points and dollars. Note that points can only be used on your first seat selection transaction. Any subsequent purchases must be made in dollars.
Note that prices for Advance Seat Selection may change from time to time.
Once you have purchased your Advance Seat Selection you will be issued with a receipt. If you purchased Advance Seat Selection from Qantas direct you will receive your receipt via email. If you purchased Advance Seat Selection from a Travel Agent you will receive your receipt from your Travel Agent.
You should always carry your receipt with you and you may be asked for it when you check-in at the airport, as proof of purchase. Retain your receipt number in case you need to apply for a refund (see below).
Changes by the passenger:
At any time up to three hours prior to scheduled departure, provided you have not checked in for the flight, you may change your Advance Seat Selection as follows:
- You can elect to move to another available seat of the same value within the same cabin on the same flight free of charge.
- You can elect to move to an available seat of higher value within the same cabin on the same flight on payment of any price difference. Additional payments are not available in points.
- You can elect to move to a seat of lesser value within the same cabin on the same flight however Qantas will not refund the difference in price.
- Advance Seat Selection is non-refundable and non-transferable if you elect to move to another flight, cancel your booking or do not pay for your booking resulting in cancellation. You must select and pay for seats on new flights separately.
- If you elect to move to a higher cabin class on the same flight, any Advance Seat Selection purchased is non-refundable
- Advance Seat Selection is not transferable to another passenger.
Changes by Qantas:
- In the event that we have to change your seat for operational, safety or security reasons (even after boarding the aircraft), we will endeavour to seat you in a suitable alternative. We will look to seat your party together into similar seats e.g. if you have requested a window we will look to seat you in another window seat.
- If we are unable to offer you a suitable alternative seat as set out above, or where you are moved to a flight not operated by Qantas, you are eligible to apply for a refund.
- In the event you are moved to a higher cabin class, any Advance Seat Selection purchased is non-refundable.
Advance Seat Selection purchases are non-refundable, except if
- the seat you have purchased is not available and Qantas is unable to offer you a suitable alternative seat
- you are moved to allow a passenger with specific needs to be seated
- you have been moved to a flight not operated by Qantas
Refunds can only be requested after departure of the affected flight.
Advance Seat Selection and Exit Row refund conditions are independent of fare refund conditions.
Refund requests must be lodged on qantas.com no later than 3 months after the affected flight.
You cannot request a refund:
- if you cancel or rebook your flight
- if you moved to a seat in a higher cabin
- prior to departure of the affected flight
- if you fail to check in for the flight
- if, after you have purchased your Advance Seat Selection, your Frequent Flyer status changes to a status where seating selection is free
All refunds will, where possible, be returned to the original credit card. Where Qantas Frequent Flyer points have been redeemed for Advance Seat Selection (see 6 below), the points will be re-credited to the relevant member's account.
To request a refund contact us.
6. Using Qantas Frequent Flyer points
You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. Membership and points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. A joining fee may apply.
Members can redeem their points for Advance Seat Selection provided the total points price to be redeemed is at least 5000 points. Members must be logged into their Qantas Frequent Flyer profile on qantas.com to do so. You must have sufficient points for redemption at the time of purchasing Advance Seat Selection as Points Plus Pay is not available for advanced seating purchases.
The points required for Advance Seat Selection are variable and are only valid when quoted. There is no fixed relationship between the cash price charged for Advance Seat Selection and the points required to redeem Advance Seat Selection through Qantas Frequent Flyer.
7. More information about Seating
Seating preferences cannot be guaranteed even when Advance Seat Selection or Exit Rows has been purchased (See Refunds above).