Passengers Who Are Blind Or Vision Impaired
Making a booking
If you require assistance during your travel with us, let us know the level of assistance you require at the time of booking.
If you book via qantas.com, contact your local Qantas office immediately after you have made your booking to advise any specific requirements.
- You are not required to travel with a carer unless you have specific requirements. If you do need to travel with a carer, you may be eligible for discounted airfares. Find out more at Travel with an Escort or Carer.
- If you would like to travel with your accredited Service Dog, contact your local Qantas office.
- As part of Qantas special meal requests, pre-cut meals may be requested at the time of booking and must be requested no later than 24 hours prior to departure. Special meal requests are not provided on QantasLink Dash 8 aircraft services.
At the Airport
- At all Qantas terminals within Australia, we may provide kerbside assistance, subject to the availability of staff, provided that upon arrival at the airport, you are accompanied by someone who can advise Qantas staff that you require assistance kerbside.
- A Meet and Assist Service is available for guidance to and from the aircraft gate. If you require this service, advise us at the time of booking.
- Due to safety regulations you will not be allocated an exit row seat if you are blind or vision impaired.
On the Aircraft
- If you have a walking cane or walking frame, it may be carried in the aircraft cabin where the walking cane or walking frame can be accommodated in the overhead lockers or an alternative storage space in the aircraft cabin. If the walking cane or walking frame cannot be accommodated in the overhead lockers or an alternative storage space in the aircraft cabin, eg. non-collapsible walking frames, the device will be stowed in the aircraft hold and you will be offered wheelchair assistance to and from the gate.
- You will be boarded first and provided with an individual safety briefing.
- Safety cards in Braille format are available on most flights. This safety card will be provided to you by the Flight Attendant once onboard the aircraft and after the Flight Attendant has provided you with a safety briefing. Ask the Flight Attendant for this safety card if it is not provided to you.
- At your request, a Flight Attendant can read the meal menu to you prior to the meal service. The Flight Attendant can explain where all the food is placed on your tray, if requested.
- At your request, we can assist you with flight connections and baggage transfer.