Exit Row Seats
Book an Exit Row Seat at no extra cost on selected domestic flights and from just $45 per sector in the economy cabin on selected international flights.* Remember, Qantas Frequent Flyers can use points to book Exit Row Seats.^
How to request an Exit Row Seat
Retrieve your booking or log in to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account up to three hours before your scheduled departure time and 'Select Seats'.
You can also request an Exit Row Seat from your local Qantas Office. Remember, you still need to check in online even if you have selected your seat.
Additional cost per flight sector
|Short Haul |
Between Australia and New Zealand or New Caledonia.
|$45||The exact number of points will be provided to you during the purchase process.|
|Medium Haul |
Between Australia and Asia, or Middle East, Asia and Europe, or Los Angeles and New York.
|$90||The exact number of points will be provided to you during the purchase process.|
|Long Haul |
Between Australia and Europe, the Americas or Africa.
|$180||The exact number of points will be provided to you during the purchase process.|
Exit Row Seats are only available to customers who satisfy the requirements and booking conditions. Exit Row Seats cannot be selected during online check in and are not available if you booked through Group Sales.
Exit Row Seat Requirements
In order to sit in an Exit Row Seat, you must:
- be at least 15 years;
- be able to understand and carry out instructions;
- not be travelling with someone that needs your assistance in an emergency;
- not have any permanent or temporary impairment, for example, deaf, hearing impaired, blind, vision-impaired, any strength or mobility limitation, intellectual impairment or be travelling with a service dog;
- be able to check outside conditions and react to cabin crew commands;
- be able to reach, open, lift and throw out an exit door in an emergency that weighs up to 27kg (60lbs);
- acknowledge the exit row briefing given by cabin crew once onboard the aircraft;
- be willing to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency;
- not be seated with an infant, and
- not require the use of an extension seat belt.
Qantas has the sole discretion, at check-in or boarding, to determine whether a passenger meets the requirements to sit in an Exit Row Seat. If the passenger does not meet the requirements, they will be assigned a regular Economy seat.
1. Prices quoted are valid as at 5 October 2012 and are subject to change. Prices apply to all fare types.
2. Passengers who wish to sit next to each other but have made separate bookings will need to request their seat independently. Qantas is not able to advise the seat selection of passengers on other bookings.
3. At any time up to 3 hours prior to scheduled departure, provided you have not checked in for your flight, you may change your seat request as follows:
(a) you can elect to move to another available seat of the same value within the same cabin free of charge;
(b) you can elect to move to another available seat of lesser value within the same cabin however Qantas will not refund the difference in price;
(c) you can elect to upgrade to a seat in a higher cabin however the amount paid or points redeemed for your Exit Row Seat in Economy will not be refunded.
4. If, in accordance with your fare rules, you elect to move to another flight, or you fail to pay for your booking resulting in cancellation of your flight, any Exit Row Seat required for the new flight must be selected separately and no refund will be provided for any Exit Row Seat purchased for the previous flight.
5. Exit Row Seats are not transferable to another passenger.
6. Exit Row Seats are non-refundable unless:
(a) Qantas changes your seat for operational, safety or security reasons (even after boarding the aircraft), and are unable to seat you in an Exit Row Seat, or
(b) there is a flight disruption causing you to be moved to another flight and Qantas is unable to seat you in an Exit Row Seat on your new flight.
(c) Qantas moves you to another flight not operated by Qantas
7. Exit Row Seats are non-refundable if we have moved you to a seat in a higher cabin class for operational, safety or security reasons.
8. Exit Row refund conditions are independent of fare refund conditions.
9. If your seat is changed by Qantas for operational, safety or security reasons or you are affected by a flight disruption, you may apply for a refund after departure via contact us. Refunds can only be requested after departure of the affected flight. Refund requests must be lodged at qantas.com no later than 3 months after the affected flight.
10. In the event of an aircraft change, the same or a 'like seat' may be allocated by Qantas. Passengers will not be contacted before check-in if this occurs but may check the position of the allocated seat online via Manage Your Booking.
11. If between the date of purchasing an Exit Row Seat and 24 hours before travel you become unable to fulfil the requirements to sit in an Exit Row Seat, notify Qantas immediately on 131313 within Australia, or your local Qantas office. If you notify Qantas at least 24hrs prior to departure, you will be transferred to a regular Economy seat, and the additional amount paid or points redeemed for an Exit Row Seat may be refunded.
12. Passengers will still be required to check-in before their flight departure. Check-in for passengers seated in Exit Row Seats is only available at airport check-in counters.
13. Passengers who have specific needs should call our Contact Centre directly so we can assist with the allocation of an appropriate seat.
14. Seat requests cannot be guaranteed as they may need to be changed for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft
*Available on selected Qantas operated international flights (flight numbers QF1-QF199). There is a limited selection of Exit Row Seats available on domestic flights at no charge. Exit Row Seats are not available on international flights operated by Boeing 737-400 or 737-800 aircraft.
^ You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. Join online now. A joining fee may apply. Membership and points are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program terms and conditions. Members must be logged into qantas.com using their Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number and have sufficient points for redemption at the time of booking their Exit Row Seat. The Points Plus Pay option is not available for Exit Row Seat bookings. The points required for Exit Row Seats vary and are only valid when quoted. There is no fixed relationship between the cash price charged for an Exit Row Seat and the points required to redeem an Exit Row Seat through the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.