California has always been a magnet for dreamers and their dreams. From the world changing to the positively bonkers, you’ll find it hard not to be inspired by California. The mercantile Los Angeles and high-tech San Francisco offer a tantalising vision of California’s creative, free-spirited, anything-is-possible vibe while laidback towns like San Diego serve up the state’s Spanish roots. Add to that achingly beautiful landscapes, some of the world’s greatest adventure sports and an endlessly sunny sky, and you’ll be day dreaming until you go. Book your flight to California direct with Qantas today.
Flights to California
It’s time to start dreaming big
In winter (December to February) the average temperature hovers around 15°C. In summer (June- August) the temperature averages 25-30°C
California’s diverse natural and man-made beauty lends itself to a range of unique experiences within one destination - city adventures, snow holidays, surf beaches, vineyards, top rated golf courses and spas – something for everyone in the true Californian way.
The stony peaks, moody mountains and giant sequoias of Yosemite, King’s Canyon and Sequoia National Parks have served as the location of plenty of Hollywood spaghetti westerns. Farther north on the Nevada border, you’ll also find the ski resorts of Lake Tahoe, as well as plenty of arts and music festivals in summer.
With the booming tech industry spilling out of nearby Silicon Valley, San Francisco has fast become a hub for high technology companies. Join the tech elite in San Fran's SOMO district or go for classic chowder on Fisherman’s Wharf. You can visit historical attractions such as Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge amidst a very liberal, forward thinking and accepting culture.
Artist enclaves in Carmel and Big Sur, celebrity residents, world-class resorts, an emerging wine region and a grand castle are some of the attractions as you make your way along scenic Highway One from Monterey to Santa Barbara. The atmosphere is relaxed and casual and wildlife refuges, state parks and beaches inspire rambling hikes along the way.
Ontario, Riverside and San Bernardino are thriving urban centres in one of the fastest-growing areas of California. Go further afield to discover the area’s agricultural roots, still alive in the surrounding small communities like the Temecula wine region. You’ll also find summer fun at Big Bear Lake and winter sports in the San Jacinto Mountains.
Amusement parks, architectural landmarks, art museums and galleries, beaches, parks, hiking and shopping, to name a few. After the sun goes down, you’ll find there’s an abundance of nightlife options, including movies (of course!), as well as live music and comedy provided by performers both legendary and yet-to-be-discovered.
Nature preserves, forests and rugged trails are the attractions of California’s North Coast, as well as fine dining and music festivals. Drive through Redwoods State Park and the wineries of Sonoma County.
If you want to go shopping in the US on a family holiday, chances are you’ll find yourself in Anaheim, where Disneyland and some enormous outdoor shopping complexes attract gazillions of people every year. If the commercialism tires, take off for the Costa Mesa and some quintessential Californian beach towns along the coast.
With theme parks, great coastal villages, and the world famous San Diego Zoo on offer, San Diego reels in the families year after year. Enjoy restaurants featuring plenty of delicious local produce, a lively theatre and arts scene, pumping nightlife and the spectacular 1200-acre urban cultural park Balboa in the centre of town.
- Surf the famous Huntington and Manhattan Beaches.
- Ski the slopes at Heavenly in Lake Tahoe or relax by the fire in a log cabin.
- Drive Highway One along the Big Sur Coastline.
- Play a round of golf at Pebble Beach.
- Hire a bicycle and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Ride a Rollercoaster at Disneyland, Universal Studios or the famous Santa Cruz Boardwalk.
- Walk beneath some of the world’s oldest and largest trees at the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
- Tour the astoundingly beautiful Joshua Tree National Park.
- Tune into some great acts at the Coachella Music Festival in Palm Springs.
- Camp in the incredible Yosemite National Park.
- Catch a symphony, opera or rock concert at the Hollywood Bowl.
Eat and Drink
- Sample the Napa Valley and Sonoma wines in their own vineyards.
- Grab a famous Ghirardelli chocolate and take a guided walking history tour of historic Ghirardelli Square where it all began.
- Chow down at one of the iconic In-N-Out Burger franchises.
- Eat seafood chowder on San Francisco’s famous Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Sample the new food movement of Mendocino County.
Bestselling tours in California at qantas.com right now…
- Alcatraz and San Francisco City Tour
- Monterey, Carmel and 17-Mile Drive Day Trip from San Francisco
- Alcatraz Tour plus Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and Sausalito Day Trip
- San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Ticket and Alcatraz Tour
- Skip the Line: Front of Line Pass at Universal Studios Hollywood
Book these or any of our huge selection of tours, activities and transfers with Qantas Activities and you'll enjoy a Price Promise and 1 point per AU$1 spent if you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer.
- Earn Qantas Points
- Price Promise
- 24/7 Support
All Qantas flights to Los Angeles arrive at the Tom Bradley International Terminal, but note that some leave from Terminal 4. From Los Angeles Airport, you can hire a car to take you on your journey around California or use a bus transfer to get into L.A.
Most people book car hire in California, simply because it is the easiest way to get around the destinations. However, train journeys on AMTRAK are popular if you have a single destination or are taking a tour.
One of the most documented road trips on earth, the Pacific Coast Highway (part of California’s Highway 1), starts in L.A and runs north along the Pacific Ocean through some of the world’s most famous surfing and leisure territory. Inland, to the east, lies a line of beautiful 18th century Spanish desert missions. South of L.A., you can take the Interstate 5 down south to the border of Mexico through San Diego and La Jolla. Yosemite National Park lies to the north west of Los Angeles.
Five great drives through California
- Earn Qantas Points
- Price Promise
- 24/7 Support
Fly straight to LA from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to enjoy the best of Qantas’ service.
World's Best Inflight Wine Cellar 2013
Awarded Best First, Business and Overall Wine Cellar at Business Traveller 'Cellars in the Sky Awards' 2013
New Qantas Business Lounge and First Lounge in Los Angeles
Enjoy brand new lounges designed by Marc Newson set to open from mid-2014
Business Sleep Service
Sleep well with our new mattress, duvet and turndown service on flights to L.A. and New York.
Fly big on Qantas’ award winning A380 product on selected flights to L.A.
Kate and Jack Spade kits
Kate and Jack Spade amenity kits with Malin+Goetz skincare for Business and First passengers
Sommeliers in the Sky
First and Business passengers can consult a sommelier about our award winning wines on selected flights
Note that all flights are subject to last minute aircraft changes. Seating configurations and product features may vary between aircraft, including aircraft of the same type.
Get ready to reinvent yourself in LA, the city where everyone is a star. Luckily there's plenty to do in the City of Angels while you are waiting to be discovered. Find out more about our flights to Los Angeles.
It’s all about the kids in the USA’s theme park capital. Find out more about Anaheim.
San Francisco is booming, catapulting the city into one of the world’s most forward thinking cities through a massive urban transformation. Find out more about our flights to San Francisco.
FLIGHTS TO CALIFORNIA FROM..
HOTELS IN CALIFORNIABook hotels in San Francisco, California
GETTING AROUND CALIFORNIA
Book car hire in California
Hit the road for a big adventure in California starting with car hire in LA. Book your car before you go with Qantas and if you’re a Frequent Flyers, you can earn points with Avis and Budget.Book
QBE has a range of travel insurance policies for both annual multi city and international travel as well as single international trips+Book
* For card payments on international bookings at qantas.com, add A$30 for credit/charge cards or A$10 for debit/prepaid cards including Qantas Cash™, per passenger per booking. For card payments on domestic and Trans-Tasman bookings at qantas.com, add A$7 for credit/charge Cards or A$2.50 for debit/prepaid cards per passenger per booking. For Points Plus Pay bookings, immediate payment by card is required, and no card payment fee applies when using a Debit Card. Also add A$60 per passenger for international bookings or $35 for domestic or trans-Tasman bookings made on 13 13 13, and through Qantas airport locations. Agents may charge service fees and/or fees for card payments which vary. Prices may fluctuate if carrier charges, fees, taxes or currency change. Prices are one way or return as specified and are valid on Qantas services only.
^ You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem Qantas Points. Join online now. A joining fee may apply. Membership and Qantas Points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. The minimum number of Qantas Points earned is quoted based on the most direct routing.
# Prices are per night based on twin share and include all fees and taxes. The applicable fee can be viewed on the payment page before your confirm your booking.
+ Product disclosure statements are available at qantas.com/travelinsurance. Policies are only valid upon acceptance of payment by the insurer. The insurer is QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited ABN 78 003 191 035 of 82 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000. Qantas Airways Limited ABN 16 009 661 901 is its authorised representative and receives a commission for policies sold. To earn Qantas Points on insurance, Qantas Frequent Flyers must provide their membership number to QBE when purchasing a policy. Membership and Qantas Points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. Qantas Frequent Flyers cannot earn Qantas Points on any cancellation and baggage insurance.