Cairns is the gateway to Tropical North Queensland, where ancient rainforests spill onto dazzling white beaches, where turquoise waters glint in the sun and where you can experience some of the worlds most breathtaking attractions like the Great Barrier Reef.
Cairns is popular for its laid back lifestyle, alfresco dining, picture perfect lagoon swimming and great pubs, markets, festivals and outdoor adventure sports. This charming seaside town is the entry point to other quintessential tropical destinations such as Port Douglas, Palm Cove and the Atherton Tablelands.
Book at qantas.com today and you'll enjoy.
- Price Promise
- Fee-free payment options
- Points Plus Pay+
- 24/7 phone support
View all our Cairns Red Hot hotel specials including discounted rates and fantastic bonus offers. Our hotels come with a price promise and Qantas Frequent Flyers earn 3 points^ per A$1 spent on select partner hotels booked at qantas.com.
Activities & Experiences
Top Cairns Activities
- Scenic Hot Air Balloon Flight from Cairns
See the mountain-back city of Cairns spread out below on this spectacular hot-air balloon ride.
- The Kuranda Tour from Cairns
Choose from four exciting options for this magical day around the rainforest 'village' of Kuranda.
- Horse Riding Tour from Cairns
Enjoy a 3 hour horse ride through the bush on a working Australian farm.
- Outer Barrier Reef Cruise with Diving or Snorkelling from Cairns
Sail to the Outer Barrier Reef, go diving or snorkelling and see the stunning beauty of the coral.
Top things to do in Cairns
- Indulge your tastebuds on fresh seafood; grab a bucket of prawns and a glass of bubbly or a cold beer at any one of the many, friendly local pubs
- Cool off with a swim in the beautiful lagoon. The lagoon covers 4,000 square meters
- Pack a picnic and relax down by the water on the esplanade
- Go bungee jumping
- Sample the amazing local produce at Rusty's Markets
- Take a sunset or sunrise walk along the boardwalk
Top things to do in Palm Cove
- Indulge in a spa treatment
- Play a round of golf at Paradise Palms
- Have a refreshing drink or meal at Yorkeys Knob Yacht club
- Browse the quaint shops and boutiques
Top things to do in Port Douglas
- Learn how to scuba dive or grab a snorkel set to explore the Great Barrier Reef
- Hire a bike a cycle along the beach
- Dine at any one of the many fine restaurants dotted around the township
- Pamper yourself with a spa treatment
- Join a day trip to the Daintree forest and Cape Tribulation
Explore Cairns and Tropical North Queensland by car. The drive north from Cairns to Port Douglas and the Daintree Forest is one of the most picturesque and scenic drives in Australia. Meander up north around the coast line and stop off at all the beautiful beaches and towns on the way. Port Douglas is just a 1 hour drive from Cairns.
Get guaranteed low rates across 4 of Australia's leading car providers with our Cars Price Promise,# plus there are no booking fees and Qantas Frequent Flyers can earn 3 points^ per A$1 spent on the Base Rate with Avis and Budget.
# If, after you book car hire on qantas.com, on the same day you find a lower publicly available rate on any website with a website address ending in .au or any other website operated in Australia by an Australian company for the same car hire with the same supplier (including the same Booking Conditions), we will match that rate and Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn 1,000 extra points. Claims must be submitted by midnight (AEST) on the same day of receiving your confirmation email in relation to your booking on qantas.com. To receive the extra points, Qantas Frequent Flyers must provide their membership number on the Price Promise claim form. To earn points for car hire, Qantas Frequent Flyers must provide their membership number when booking online and to the chosen car partner. Other conditions apply.
No trip is complete without travel insurance. QBE has a range of travel insurance policies for both annual multi-city international travel as well as single international trips.
Qantas Frequent Flyers earn 1 point per A$1 spent on insurance policies, excluding Australian Cancellation and Baggage insurance.++
Did you know that Frequent Flyers can now use points to pay for travel insurance?