Sydney in Winter
Sydney comes alive day and night in winter with a packed line-up of exclusive events, big-city shopping and some of Australia's best dining experiences. The city is the beautiful backdrop to the much-loved winter festival of lights, music and ideas, Vivid Sydney, and its regular astonishing line-up of world-class shows, sports events and festivities to keep everyone entertained.
Diners are spoilt for choice with some of the best restaurants in the country, an abundance of fresh produce and dynamic chefs keen to impress. Sydney offers a treasure trove of eclectic, stylish and unique designs with shopping hotspots in the City centre, Bondi, Paddington, Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Manly, Mosman and Newtown. Sydney's arts and cultural scene is diverse, engaging and great value and the city is a stage for local and international talent with art and performances around every corner.
Sydney and Melbourne Frequency
We know you like a regular schedule. So, with an additional 11 services scheduled per weak in peak times, we offer the most flights between Sydney and Melbourne of any domestic carrier. And with flights scheduled every 15 minutes in peak times (Monday to Friday between 6.30 to 8.00AM and 4.30 to 6.00PM) you have more flexibility with your schedule.
Book at qantas.com today and you'll enjoy.
- Price Promise
- Fee-free payment options
- Points Plus Pay^
- 24/7 phone support
View all our Sydney Red Hot hotel specials including discounted rates and fantastic bonus offers. Our hotels come with a price promise and Qantas Frequent Flyers earn 3 points^ per A$1 spent on select partner hotels booked at qantas.com.
From shopping to gallery hopping, beach adventures to bush hikes, tours and harbour cruises. Your Sydney days will be actioned-packed and your nights brightly lit.
Qantas Frequent Flyers earn 1 point** per A$1 spent on all activities booked at qantas.com
Top Sydney Tours
- Sydney Bridge Climb
Climb the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge with amazing views over the spectacular city and beyond
- Sydney Harbour Dinner Cruise
Enjoy a delicious dinner and wonderful views on this great value dinner cruise
- Sydney Opera House Tour
Take a fascinating tour behind the scenes of one world's most iconic buildings
- Sydney Hop-on, Hop-Off Tour
The Hop-On, Hop-Off tour allows you to plan your own Sydney and Bondi Beach sightseeing itinerary
Search and book all Sydney tours, activities and experiences.
Looking to see a show, musical, concert or the ballet whilst you're in Sydney? Check out our Box Office Guide .
Plus Qantas Frequent Flyers earn 2 points per A$1^ spent on all tickets purchased through the Qantas Box Office.
Top things to do
Read what our experts at Travel Insider have to say about where to go and what to see in Sydney and check out our other great ideas around beach, shopping, dining, icons and attractions below.
- Visit famous Bondi or get active with the iconic Coogee to Bondi walk
- Explore Sydney's Northern Beaches, they are less crowded than the city beaches and there are some fantastic walks you can do in the surrounding parks and reserves. Grab some sun at Palm Beach or go next door to beautiful Whale Beach and dine at exclusive Jonah's. For a truly decadent experience you can get to Johan's at Whale Beach by seaplane.
- Go window shopping in the Rocks
- Visit the great Oxford Street strip in Paddington and Woollahra or King St in Newtown for fantastic local designer finds
- Spend a day at the markets; Glebe, Paddington, Kirribilli, Bondi Beach, The Rocks, to name just a few
- Head to the city and CBD and shop in modern mega-complexes or superb heritage listed buildings like the Queen Victoria Building and the Strand Arcade. You will find everything from bargain basement items to world-class designer labels and everything in between
Drink & Dine
- Sydney is wonderfully diverse and multicultural and you will find mouth-watering cuisine to suit every palette, around every corner
- Head to the Surry Hills and Darlinghurst precinct for cocktails and dancing as well great dining and bar options
- Take a visit to Woolloomooloo, Potts Point or Cockle Bay for fancy food and fine wine
- The Rocks and Balmain offer great places to have a relaxing beer or glass of wine as well as a diverse range of restaurants
- Dine on scrumptious seafood at the Fish Markets in Pyrmont
- You can't go past Chinatown or Haymarket for Yum Cha or Asian cuisine
- Sydney's CBD is home to an array of clubs, wine bars, up-market pubs and restaurants galore
Looking to eat somewhere quirky? Check out the some of the new independent eateries in Sydney.
- Visit the Art Gallery of NSW, the Museum of Contemporary Art or any of the fascinating local galleries in The Rocks
Icons & Attractions
- Walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Visit the spectacular Opera House and do the harbour walk around Circular Quay and Darling Harbour
- Have a picnic in the lush surroundings of the Botanical Gardens or Mrs Macquarie Chair
- Take a harbour cruise by day or night or catch the ferry to Manly
- Visit Taronga Zoo or the Sydney Aquarium
Check out the urban hot spots and great advice on what to do when in Sydney from our Travel Insider guide.
^ You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. A joining fee may apply. Membership and points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. Join online now.
Why not experience the wonder of Sydney and its surrounds by Car?
Hire a car and head to the famous Hunter Valley wine region (2.5 hours drive), the picturesque Blue Mountains (less than a 2 hour drive from Sydney city), Northern Beaches or the many charming seaside towns and beaches that dot the Central Coast (1.5 hours drive).
Get guaranteed low rates across 4 of Australia's leading car providers with our Cars Price Promise,# plus there are no booking fees and Qantas Frequent Flyers can earn 3 points^ per A$1 spent on the Base Rate within Australia.
# If, after you book car hire on qantas.com, on the same day you find a lower publicly available rate on any website with a website address ending in .au or any other website operated in Australia by an Australian company for the same car hire with the same supplier (including the same Booking Conditions), we will match that rate and Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn 1,000 extra points. Claims must be submitted by midnight (AEST) on the same day of receiving your confirmation email in relation to your booking on qantas.com. To receive the extra points, Qantas Frequent Flyers must provide their membership number on the Price Promise claim form. To earn points for car hire, Qantas Frequent Flyers must provide their membership number when booking online and to the chosen car partner. Other conditions apply.
No trip is complete without travel insurance.
QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited offers a range of travel insurance policies to suit different requirements.
Qantas Frequent Flyers can earn I point per A$1 spent on insurance policies.^^
Did you know that Qantas Frequent Flyers can now use their points to pay for travel insurance? Find out more.