Graduate Program - General
If you are keen to build a career where diversity and scale are key motivating factors, becoming a part of the Qantas Graduate Program could be your ideal choice. During the two-year program, the General stream provides four six-month rotations across a range of business areas to help you develop skills, knowledge and networks across the Qantas Group. You will develop a big picture perspective of Qantas and its complex interrelationships and refine and apply these learnings in a variety of business critical areas to help you become a future leader with the world's most experienced airline.
We will work with you during the recruitment process and once you join the Program to align your skills and interests to one of three parts of the Qantas business:
- Corporate - typically based in Qantas head office, you will work in a graduate role in areas such as Strategy, Marketing, Corporate Communications, Customer Care and our Frequent Flyer business.
- Customer & Operations - you will work in an operational/delivery focused role rotating through our operational businesses which may include Engineering, Catering, Airports, Cabin Crew, Customer Experience, Aviation Services, Flight Operations, Integrated Operations Centre.
- Commercial - this area of the business includes Commercial Planning which plays a key role in determining the strategy for network, pricing and inventory driving revenue and cost performance - your graduate opportunity may include involvement in Commercial Planning areas such as Network & Pricing, Airport Infrastructure, Commercial Reporting & Strategy and Business Improvement as well as Alliances and Sales.
What we're looking for
- A credit average or higher in a general discipline degree such as aviation, business, commerce or economics
- Strong interpersonal skills & customer focus
- Clear written & oral communication skills
- A demonstrated analytical approach to problem solving
- A passion for getting results
Critical for us is your ability to stay motivated in challenging circumstances and to enjoy moving around and working with a range of people in a variety of teams.
The following will also be highly regarded
- Relevant work experience
- Academic honours, awards, scholarships & prizes
- Study exchange programs
- Leadership experience in a professional, community or extra-curricular environment
What we offer
As a participant on the program, you will enjoy rotational assignments that provide you with broad exposure to our business as well as a competitive market salary and a variety of unique lifestyle benefits. You will also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of community activities that we are involved in. To find out more click here.
Graduate roles are primarily located in Sydney; however, if you are not living in Sydney, we provide a relocation assistance package to help with your move.
Training & Development
While we expect you to work hard and do your best, we will give you the skills and knowledge to get there. We place significant investment in the training and development of our graduates. In addition to regular development sessions with your fellow graduates we will support you to attend formal training programs.
- Technical training such as Microsoft Excel and project management
- Training with a focus on business/leadership competencies such as persuasive communication and understanding motivation
- Customised Qantas programs such as cultural awareness and customer service
- Support for role specific training where business benefit can be substantiated.
Graduates also participate in a formal performance planning and review process where you will receive frequent feedback and help with development planning.
What you'll be working on
Typical work assignments may include
- Project Management - attend briefings from manager/department, seek input from, liaise with and inform stakeholders, ensure timelines are kept and then manage projects into successful implementation.
- Analysis - receive problem, source information, undertake analysis/evaluate or performance test concept, report back/make recommendations
- Business case preparation - produce accurate, comprehensive and insightful analysis including revenue modelling and identify relative advantages and disadvantages in a well documented format
Where you'll be working
We are a large organisation with a broad range of areas to explore. Your rotations may be in:
- Corporate teams, generally based in the Qantas head office such as Strategy, Marketing, Corporate Communications, Customer Care and our Frequent Flyer business.
- Operational and customer focused areas such as Airports, Customer Experience (Design and Delivery), Ground Services, Group Emergency Response, QCatering, and Qantas Engineering in a business analyst capacity.
- Commercial segments including Pricing and Yield, Sales, Alliances and Commercial Planning, as well as the Qantas portfolio of commercial businesses including Freight and QantasLink.
During the recruitment process and throughout the two year program, we'll work with you to align your interests and skills with one of these three areas
Where you can go after the program
You will find a diverse number of career paths within Qantas that lead to more senior roles. We will work with you to determine your areas of interest and the positions that are best suited to your abilities and desired career path.
Past graduates are currently working in a number of different roles including Principal Business Analyst, Product Development Manager, Marketing Analyst, Manager Business Improvement and Coordinator Fleet Operations.
Applications for the 2014 Graduate program are now closed.