Graduate Program - Human Resources
Our Human Resources Graduate Program is designed for graduates with a HR-related degree looking for a successful and rewarding career within HR.
You will join a two-year program involving four six-month rotations throughout various HR departments. We'll give you experience with a variety of Qantas business segments to provide you with an insight into the HR operations and strategies that support the Qantas Group. You will build knowledge and skills in core HR processes and practices, and gain valuable experience working in an operational area of the business.
If your desire is to rapidly develop a range of skills in both a corporate and operational environment and you proactively seek learning opportunities then this program could be for you.
What we're looking for
- A credit average or higher in a business related undergraduate degree, holding a major or minor in a Human Resources related field.
- Thorough understanding of a broad range of HR/IR topics
- Strong interpersonal skills & customer focus
- Clear written & oral communication skills
- A demonstrated analytical approach to problem solving
- A passion for getting results
Critical for us is your ability to stay motivated in challenging circumstances and to enjoy moving around and working with a range of people in a variety of teams.
The following will also be highly regarded:
- Relevant work experience
- Academic honours, awards, scholarships & prizes
- Study exchange programs
- Leadership experience in a professional, community or extra-curricular environment
What we offer
As a participant on the program, you will enjoy rotational assignments that provide you with broad exposure to our business as well as a competitive market salary and a variety of unique lifestyle benefits. You will also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of community activities that we are involved in.
To find out more click here. Graduate roles are primarily located in Sydney; however, if you are not living in Sydney, we provide a relocation assistance package to help with your move.
Training & Development
While we expect you to work hard and do your best, we will give you the skills and knowledge to get there. We place significant investment in the training and development of our graduates. In addition to regular development sessions with your fellow graduates we will support you to attend formal training programs.
- Technical training such as computer software and project management
- Soft skills training such as persuasive communication and motivation
- Qantas training such as cultural awareness and customer service
- Support for role specific training where business benefit can be substantiated.
Graduates also participate in a formal performance planning and review process where you will receive frequent feedback and help with development planning.
What you'll be working on
Typical work assignments may include:
- Generalist HR - provision of HR support to line managers across all aspects of HR including recruitment, remuneration, talent, performance management, training and development, policy and award interpretation.
- Project Management - involvement in the design and implementation of key projects including engagement action planning, recognition programs, management development and process improvement and redesign,
- Corporate HR - gain exposure to a diverse range of specialist HR activities including diversity, talent management, remuneration and recognition and EBA negotiations.
Where you'll be working
We're a large organisation with a broad range of areas to explore. So the great thing is you're never going to run out of options and challenges in the HR stream. Your rotations may include:
- Corporate HR - including Performance & Culture, Industrial Relations and Remuneration and Recognition.
- Segment HR - for example, line HR within Airports, Catering, Engineering, Corporate Groups, Customer & Marketing or Jetstar
- HR Shared Services - within Recruitment, Qantas College, PeopleConnect, Worker's Compensation, Remuneration and Benefits
- An operational part of the airline
Where you can go after the program
You will find a diverse number of career paths within Qantas that lead to more senior roles. We will work with you to determine your areas of interest and the positions that are best suited to your abilities and desired career path.
Past graduates are currently working in a number of different roles including HR Advisers within our business Segments and specialist roles within People Shared Services.
Applications for the 2014 Graduate program are now closed.