The Graduate Experience
Every step of the two year Graduate Program focuses on introducing you to our business and providing a smooth transition into a successful career with Qantas.
The First Month
During your first month as part of the Qantas Graduate Program you'll participate in a number of induction days as well as settle in to your first rotation. During the first month the Graduate cohort come together 1-2 days each week to:
- hear from senior executives within the business,
- participate in engaging activities to get to know each other, the business and the industry,
- be part of skills workshops for personal development,
- connect with Graduate Alumni; and
- participate in tours of areas including our Sydney Domestic Terminal, Q Catering Centre, Jetbase/Flight Simulator Centre, an aircraft hanger and Centre of Service Excellence.
On Going Learning and Development
During the course of the graduate program you will participate in our targeted graduate development sessions aimed at enhancing your business acumen, building your leadership and management capabilities and strengthening your professional skills.
Your Graduate Program includes a combination of:
- on-the-job training as you progress through each of your rotations,
- ongoing workplace coaching via performance discussions and related development planning, plus mentoring from experienced managers with the opportunity to learn by observation and example,
- formal training through regular development days, including classroom sessions, practical and theoretical business workshops and tours unique to the aviation industry,
- fully sponsored CA or CPA Program for Finance Graduates, specialised technical training for IT Graduates and support for other studies where business benefit can be substantiated; and
- computer based training to support business critical knowledge and mandatory training.
Throughout your time on the program we will provide you with a range of support networks to guide your development and bring out the best in you.
- Graduate Program Manager - This person manages the program design and logistics as well as will providing you with support and direction during your program. They organise your induction, training and development as well as tracking your performance and development needs.
- Stream Manager - Act as a main point of contact for Graduate Program Manager and Business areas, oversee your learning process and graduate experience. Upon successful completion of the program your Stream Manager will also work with you to find a suitable permanent role within Qantas.
- Rotation Manager - For each rotation you'll have a Rotation Manager who's responsible for your day-to-day work activity. They will work with you to set assignments, agree objectives, and identify areas for development and other training options. They will also provide guidance and feedback and conduct a formal performance review with you at the end of your rotation.
- Buddy - Your buddy is also a great support. This person is a graduate from a previous year who will help you settle into Qantas and provide you with support and advice throughout the program. Your buddy can also help you link into the broader Graduate Alumni network.
Remuneration & Benefits
Qantas offers graduates a competitive market salary as well as a variety of unique lifestyle benefits. To find out more click here
Qantas is a complex business. The sheer diversity of what we do and the excitement and challenge of the airline industry creates numerous opportunities for a rewarding and challenging start to your career.
General (Corporate, Customer & Operations, Commercial)
With a general or specialist degree and an interest in working in the Aviation industry, the General Stream provides a range of opportunities across the business. We will work with you during the recruitment process and once you join the Program to align your skills and interests to one of three parts of the Qantas business:
- Corporate - typically based in Qantas head office, you will work in a graduate role in areas such as Strategy, Marketing, Corporate Communications, Customer Care and our Frequent Flyer business.
- Customer & Operations - you will work in an operational/delivery focused role rotating through our operational businesses which may include Engineering, Catering, Airports, Cabin Crew, Customer Experience, Aviation Services, Flight Operations, Integrated Operations Centre.
- Commercial - you will work in a graduate role in areas such as Commercial Planning, Sales, Alliances.
With an accounting major or degree, the finance stream offers you the opportunity to work in areas such as financial and management accounting, treasury, performance planning and reporting and taxation.
With an IT related degree or a business degree with a strong interest in IT, you will experience a true blend of business and IT encompassing vendor management, business relationship management, architecture and IT governance.
With a general business degree, holding a major or minor in a Human Resources related field, you will have the opportunity to explore corporate HR, HR shared services and line HR within an operational or commercial area of the business.