Qantas to Resume Services Between Australia and Europe
Sydney, 21 April 2010
Qantas announced today it would resume services between Europe and Australia and Asia and Europe on Wednesday 21 April (local times).
Scheduled services between Australia and Europe via Asia will recommence tomorrow Thursday 22 April.
Qantas Chief Executive Officer, Mr Alan Joyce, said a range of factors had been taken into consideration before making the decision to recommence services.
"We have been closely monitoring the evolving situation in Europe and liaising with European authorities about the opening of airspace across Europe," he said.
"Qantas welcomes the opening of airspace and we will resume flights out of the UK to Australia today and from Asia to London and Frankfurt.
"I would like to thank our customers for their patience during this time. We are working on providing supplementary services to help clear the backlog and we will let our customers know as soon as possible.
"We estimate it will take approximately two to three weeks to clear the current backlog."
The following flights will operate on Wednesday 21 April:
From London to Australia
* QF8232 London to Sydney via Singapore scheduled to depart at 1205 local time
* QF8230 London to Melbourne via Hong Kong scheduled to depart at 1220 local time
From Asia to London/Frankfurt
* QF8205 Singapore to Frankfurt scheduled to depart at 2320 local time
* QF8209 Singapore to London scheduled to depart at 2305 local time
* QF8231 Singapore to London scheduled to depart at 2359 local time
* QF8201 Bangkok to London scheduled to depart at 0045 local time on Thursday 22 April
* QF8229 Hong Kong to London scheduled to depart at 0735 local time on Thursday 22 April.
On Thursday 22 April Qantas will recommence normal scheduled services from Australia to Europe. Customers booked on the following flights are confirmed for travel:
Thursday 22 April
* QF9 Melbourne to London scheduled to depart at 1530 local time
* QF5 Sydney to Frankfurt scheduled to depart at 1550 local time
* QF31 Sydney to London scheduled to depart at 1615 local time
* QF1 Sydney to London scheduled to depart at 1700 local time
* QF29 Melbourne to London scheduled to depart at 2300 local time
Customers who were booked on cancelled flights are advised not to proceed to the airport. Qantas will endeavour to contact them regarding rebooking them on next available services.
Passengers are advised to check qantas.com for the latest information.
Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (4062)