Australian Designers Take to the Skies on Qantas
Sydney, 07 March 2007
Qantas will introduce a new designer amenities collection, created by some of Australia's most recognised creative talent, later this month.
Qantas Executive General Manager John Borghetti said the collection from Australian designers Marc Newson, Collette Dinnigan, Akira Isogawa and Peter Morrissey would be offered to First and Business customers travelling on Qantas international services from 25 March 2007.
"As one of the world's top tier premium airlines Qantas is delighted to be able to showcase Australia's celebrated design talent to our global customers," said Mr Borghetti.
"This new designer collection is the first instalment in a new luxury product strategy, spearheaded by world famous Australian industrial designer Marc Newson who was recently named Designer of the Year at the annual Design Miami event.
"Marc designed Qantas' award-winning Business Skybed sleeper seat in 2003 and has since been guiding all of our product development to create a distinctive style in line with Qantas' premium positioning."
Included in the First amenities collection are:
- Collette Dinnigan-designed floral silk purse for female customers;
- Akira Isogawa-designed, functional and stylish, zippered pod in chocolate suede for men;
- elegant Akira Isogawa pyjamas in soft cotton with matching luxury eyeshade and slippers;
- high quality hydrating products from leading French skincare house Payot Paris; and
- other comfort items, including hair products from renowned Australian hairstylist Kevin Murphy.
Included in the Business amenities collection are:
- highly collectable amenity packs by Marc Newson - blue for women, grey for men;
- moisturising products from Australian skincare range Ultraceuticals;
- soft cotton pyjamas designed by Peter Morrissey and matching eyeshade on selected long haul flights; and
- other comfort items, including Kevin Murphy haircare products.
Mr Borghetti said that as part of an extensive upgrade of its international product, Qantas would also introduce a new range of luxury designer soft furnishings and tableware, including cutlery produced by Alessi and bone china crockery produced by Noritake, in March, followed by further enhancements throughout the year.
"In May we are looking forward to extending our new designer products to our ground operations with the opening of new Marc Newson designed First Lounges in Sydney and Melbourne.
"We believe our new flagship Lounges will be simply the best in the world," said Mr Borghetti.
Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (3540)