In addition to the core business of transporting passengers and air freight, Qantas operates a number of subsidiaries, including QantasLink and Jetstar, and also has interests in associated businesses, including inflight catering, and holiday and travel operations.
QantasLink operates over 2000 flights each week to 56 metropolitan, regional and international destinations across Australia and to Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea.
See the QantasLink section for more information.
Qantas Catering Group Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary that operates two catering businesses - Q Catering and Snap Fresh. Q Catering has catering centres in four Australian ports - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Snap Fresh is a state-of-the-art plant in Queensland built to centralise meal production for airlines and to supply non-aviation markets.
See the Q Catering section for more information.
Focused on providing excellence in air freight services, Qantas Freight Enterprises is Australia's largest independent air freight services business employing over 1,300 people in Australia and across the world.
Qantas Freight operates a network of 21 specialist cargo handling terminals in 15 major gateway ports across Australia and in a dedicated terminal in Los Angeles. These terminals handle freight for Qantas and Jetstar, as well as many other major carriers. Each terminal offers a variety of services appropriate to local market needs, including: coolrooms and freezers for perishables; warmrooms for shipments vulnerable to cold weather; strongrooms and safes for secure storage; and dry and wet ice for re-icing.
Qantas Freight operates a fleet of 11 freighter aircraft to supplement capacity to key import and export destinations in Australia and around the world. The aircraft operate a mix of scheduled and charter services, including seven weekly services from Australia to China, five weekly services between China and the United States and 37 nightly inter-capital Australian domestic services.
Qantas Freight Enterprises also owns a number of specialist logistics businesses around the world including:
- Express Freighters Australia (EFA); a wholly-owned subsidiary freighter management company which has its own Air Operators Certificate and also wet leases its Boeing 767-300F and Boeing 737-300CF aircraft to Qantas Freight.
- JETS Transport Express; an Australian based trucking company that specialises in the provision of interstate trucking for domestic legs of international air cargo. JETS operate a fleet of trailers specially designed to handle large air freight pallets which, due to their size, cannot be moved on domestic aircraft
- Qantas Courier New Zealand; providing a range of specialist courier services to small and medium size enterprises and individuals as well as a range of quality unaccompanied baggage services. Qantas Courier has offices and warehouses in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
Express Ground Handling
Express Ground Handling, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qantas Airways within the Qantas Airports and Catering Group, provides comprehensive ground handling services to Jetstar and several regional airlines.
Qantas Holidays, part of the Jetset Travelworld Group wholesale suite, is one of Australia's leading travel wholesalers. Qantas Holidays markets an extensive range of competitively priced products and services covering the Qantas network, including partner airlines and codeshare services, as well as packages for other airlines under the Viva! Holidays brand. In addition to destination specific promotions, Qantas Holidays sells packages to a number of special events in Australia, such as popular stage shows and sporting events.
On 30 September 2010, the Jetset Travelworld Group LTD which comprised of Qantas Holidays, Qantas Business Travel and the Jetset Travelworld Retail Group, completed a merger with Stella Travel Services PTY. LTD. The merged company is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange as The Jetset Travelworld Group (JET) and is an integrated travel business operating a number of wholesale (Inbound and Outbound) travel businesses, a range of franchise based and affiliate retail travel agency networks, an air consolidation and airline representative operation, as well as, corporate travel management services.
The Jetstar Group is a value based, low fares network of airlines operating in the leisure and value based markets offering all day, every day low fares.
The Group consists of:
- Jetstar Airways in Australia and New Zealand (wholly owned by the Qantas Group);
- Jetstar Asia based in Singapore. The company is managed by Newstar Holdings, majority owned by Singapore company Westbrook Investments (51 per cent), with the Qantas Group holding the remaining 49 per cent;
- Jetstar Pacific based in Vietnam (majority owned by Vietnam Airlines with the Qantas Group holding 30 per cent);
- Jetstar Japan, a partnership between Japan Airlines, Mitsubishi Corporation and Century Tokyo Leasing Corporation, the Qantas Group; and
- Jetstar Hong Kong, a partnership between China Eastern Airlines, Shun Tak Holdings and the Qantas Group (subject to regulatory approval).
The Jetstar Group currently offers more than 4,000 flights a week to more than 60 destinations in 17 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region with a fleet of 115 aircraft.
Jetstar first started operating in 2004 and has grown to become one of the largest low cost carriers in the Asia Pacific by revenue. Since establishment, the Jetstar Group has flown more than 140 million passengers.
With headquarters in Melbourne, the Jetstar Group provides employment to around 7,000 staff across the Asia Pacific.