Travel Documents


You are required to have a valid airline ticket to travel. If you are travelling on an electronic ticket (e-ticket), you will be issued with an itinerary receipt which you should carry with you at all times.

Ensure that you are aware of the conditions of the fare you have purchased and the applicable carrier's and the conditions of carriage. View Qantas - fare rules and conditions of carriage.


All passengers need a valid passport for international travel, regardless of the destination, but as some countries require at least six months remaining on the passport, you should check with the consulates of all the countries you are planning to visit prior to your departure, as you may be refused entry if you do not comply.

Visit the IATA Travel Centre to check the passport validity requirements of your destination.

When you depart from Australia you need to present your passport, boarding pass and completed passenger departure card to Customs.

When you arrive in Australia you need to present your passport and a completed passenger arrival card to Customs.

If you need to apply for or renew an Australian passport visit the
Passports Australia
website for more details.

Forms of Identification

Domestic Flights within Australia

If you have an e-ticket or paper ticket, and are travelling on a domestic flight within Australia (flights QF400 and above), you may need one or all of the following:

  • Photo identification such as a driver's licence, passport or social security card; or
  • Your Qantas booking reference (printed on your e-ticket itinerary receipt); or
  • Your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card, Qantas Club membership card; or
  • Credit card used for the ticket purchase.

Domestic Flights within Australia departing from the International Terminal

If you are travelling on a domestic flight departing from an international terminal (flights QF1-QF399), and are 18 years of age or over, you will be asked to produce photographic identification that includes your full name. Your boarding pass will have a special 'D' (Domestic) sticker. You need to sign your name in the space provided and may also be required to record details of your photographic identification.

Find out more at Australian Customs and Border Protection Services on information on domestic passengers travelling on international flights.

You must retain your boarding pass as you need to present it at Customs clearance points at the commencement and conclusion of your domestic trip. This is required to comply with the Migration regulations administered by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Photographic Identification*

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • passport;
  • motor vehicle driver's licence issued by an Australian State or Territory ;
  • document issued by the Commonwealth, or a State or Territory, or by a Commonwealth, State or Territory authority, that identifies the person;
  • University photo identification;
  • an Aviation Identification Card (ASIC) issued by an authorised ASIC Issuing Authority; or
  • other identification which is current, contains the full name and a photograph of the bearer

Identification required for passengers aged under 18 without acceptable forms of identification:

Children and Infants travelling with an adult:

  • the accompanying adult must write the full name of the child on the reverse of the adult's boarding pass, so that the minor can be linked to the accompanying adult and their identification.

Children travelling unaccompanied:

Children travelling as part of an organised school or community-based group:

They must be accompanied by a school teacher or adult group leader who must hold a letter of authority which verifies that the adult has permission to be escorting the children. The accompanying adult will be responsible for the children at all times. The letter should contain the following information:

  • purpose of the trip;
  • full names and dates of birth of the accompanying adult(s);
  • details of the acceptable forms of identification to be used by the children and/or accompanying adult(s); and
  • full names and dates of birth of the children in the group.

For further information on children and infants view Travelling with Children and Infants on Qantas.


A visa is permission for a non-citizen to travel to or transit through a particular country. To find out if you need a visa for travel to a particular country, visit the IATA Travel Centre.

If you live in Australia, visit VisaCentral to request and process your visa application.^

Australian Citizens

If you do need a visa to travel to a particular country, you need to contact the embassy of the country you are visiting. A list of embassies in Australia can be viewed on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website. Alternatively, for some visas you can visit VisaCentral to request and process your visa application.^

Requirements for travel to/from South Africa

Passport requirements

All passengers travelling to South Africa are required to have machine readable passports with two unused pages in their passport. Non-machine readable passports will be accepted if the passport was issued after 24 November 2005 and will expire before 24 November 2015.

Documentation when travelling with children

Effective from 1 October 2014, if travelling with a minor, passengers transiting or travelling to and from South Africa with a minor (children under 18) must hold appropriate documentation as follows:

1. Where a child is in care, a certified copy of an authorisation letter from the Provincial Head of the Department where the child resides will be required;

2. When parents are travelling with a child, parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate (or certified copy of the unabridged birth certificate) of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of that child;

3. Where one parent is travelling with a child, he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate (or certified copy of the unabridged birth certificate) and:
a. Consent (in the form of an affidavit from the other registered parent on the birth certificate of the child) authorising him or her to enter or depart from the South Africa with the child he or she is travelling with; and
b. A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; or
c. Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate,

4. Where the parents of the child are both deceased and the child is travelling with a relative or another person related to him or her, such a person must be approved by the Director General of the Department of Home Affairs to enter or depart South Africa with such a child.

5. Where a person is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, he or she must produce:
a. A certified copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child; and
b. An affidavit in English from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child; and
c. Copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child; and
d. The contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child,

Failure to ensure these new requirements will result in passengers departing for/from South Africa being denied travel.

Transit visa requirements

There is a change in transit visa requirements for South Africa.

A transit visa is now required for all non-exempt foreign nationals who wish to transit in South Africa on their way to:

  • Botswana
  • Lesotho
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Swaziland
  • Zimbabwe

The Transit Without Visa (TWOV) facility will still be available for those transiting to another country other than the above.

To find out if you need a visa to transit South Africa, visit the IATA Travel Centre.

Arrival Documents

For international flights, when required, arrival documents will be handed to you at check-in or distributed by cabin crew during the flight. For arrival at an Australian international airport you will receive a Passenger Card that you need to complete ready for presentation with your passport at passport control.

* The Migraton Regulations 1994 prescribe acceptable forms of identification for domestic passengers aged over 18, travelling on domestic sectors of International Flights. These forms of identification must be current, and must contain the full name and photograph of the presenting passenger
^ VisaCentral is a CBIT company. Qantas takes no responsibility for lost or misplaced documents that may occur during application. Application and processing fees apply.

Back to top