Our business sends a large amount of waste to landfill but we are working hard to address this issue and achieving meaningful results. For example in 2011 we sent 21% less waste to landfill than we did in 2007 as a result of our 'begreen' program. Our journey of improvement continues. By 2020 we are aiming to reduce waste sent to landfill by a further 20% compared to 2009 levels.
What we do
- We introduced an onboard recycling program on selected domestic Economy services in 2009*
- Our Sydney operations adopted an Advanced Waste Treatment process that ensures recyclable or compostable material does not go to landfill in 2010.
- We have paper, cardboard and glass recycling in Qantas Club lounges within Australia and recycling programs in our corporate offices.
- In Melbourne we donate Qantas uniforms to charity to be used in the manufacturing of pillows and mattresses.
- We have partnered with Closed Loop Recycling, an industry leader in environmentally sustainable packaging and recycling solutions. This partnership has delivered great results - for example, our onboard paper cups are now made from 35% recycled paper.
- We have installed recycling bins in public spaces in all major Australian Domestic airport terminals that we occupy.
- We have sponsored Clean Up Australia Day for over 16 years.
- We are committed to our Australian Packaging Covenant Action Plan (July 2010 - June 2015).
How you can help
- The next time you travel within Australia*, we invite you to assist us by separating your recyclable items for collection by the cabin crew. With your help, we aim to continue to recycle approximately 6.5 million bottles, cups and cans per year through this program.
- Ensure you take any unwanted waste and use our recycling facilities in our airport terminals.
- Purchase a Qantas KeepCup for your coffee to reduce your reliance on disposable cups.
- Use our next generation check-in system with your mobile phone to reduce your paper needs.
- Newspapers are easy to recycle. Recycling one tonne of paper or cardboard saves on average 13 trees and 2.5 barrels of fossil oil.
Case Study: Clean up Australia Day
Qantas is the official airline of Clean Up Australia and has proudly supported Clean Up Australia Day for the past 16 years. Hundreds of Qantas Group employees, friends and family members participate annually. Find out more about the Qantas Foundation's financial support of Clean Up Australia.